I Want To Get Married. Where Do I Start?

Before you marry, Australian law requires that you complete a Notice of Intention of Marriage. This document must be lodged with me no less than one month and no more than eighteen months prior to your marriage ceremony.

You are required to produce your original Birth Certificate or authorised extract. If you were born overseas your Birth Certificate is preferred but if you can’t produce it then your  passport will be accepted.

Note: An Australian passport can now be accepted as proof of birth. A statutory declaration can also be used if you were born overseas and cannot produce a Birth Certificate or passport.

What Areas Do You Provide Your Wedding Services?

I am located in Melbourne, close to the City in the Inner East. This is a central location and allows for easy access to all areas of Melbourne and I am also willing to travel to your venue if it is further afield .

What if I’ve been previously married?

If you have been divorced then I must sight an original copy of your Decri Absolute. If your previous spouse has died then the original copy of the Death Certificate is needed. These documents must be produced before your marriage can take place.

What else?

Also before your wedding you will need to sign a declaration stating that you believe there is no impediment to the marriage between yourself and your future husband/wife.

On your wedding day you will sign my wedding register and other documents. To complete this procedure you will need two witnesses who are both over the age of 18.

Should you need any further information please contact me. I am a professionally trained and qualified Civil Marriage Celebrant and am here to help you create the celebration you want.

What are the legal requirements for marriage in Australia?

Foreign language documents must be translated into English and a NAATI accredited Translation Certificate supplied.

Do we have to attend any pre-marital courses?

No. However you may wish to contact the organisations below:

Relationships Australia
1300 364 277

1300 736 966

(03) 8650 6200

I will also provide you with the pamphlet Happily Ever Before and After.

How do I change my name after the marriage ceremony?

A bride can obtain a marriage certificate after the wedding from the office of Births Deaths and Marriages in the State in which she was married and apply to Vic Roads, Medicare, the Electoral Office etc to have her name changed on their records.

Whilst a valid marriage certificate will not change her name on her birth certificate / birth record, it would allow her to legally change her name on all of her identification documents.

Other Ceremonies and Services

As a professionally trained and qualified civil marriage celebrant and with many years of experience as a performer, I conduct all types of ceremonies including Weddings, Reaffirmation of Vows, Relationship Commitments, Naming Days and Funeral Services.

Your ceremony is a celebration of one of the most significant events to take place in your life and I am dedicated to ensuring it is of the highest quality and exactly the occasion you desire and wish to remember.

I work with you and your ideas to create the ceremony that reflects your unique personal style and the atmosphere and spirit of celebration that befits the occasion.

Naming Ceremonies

A truly joyous and special occasion when families can celebrate the birth of a new child. This is a beautiful opportunity to welcome and introduce your newest family member to the circle of relatives and friends who will love and surround them in the years to come.

Reaffirmation of Vows

Couples often wish to renew the vows they pledged on their wedding day to reaffirm their love and commitment to each other. This can be experienced by having these special words repeated or new ones created on an anniversary to make it even more significant. You may like to include family and friends who were not able to attend your marriage or perhaps you would like your children and grandchildren to hear and witness the strength of your love for each other.

Commitment Ceremonies

Similar to a wedding ceremony, this is a public affirmation of your commitment to each other. Anyone who does not want the legal components of a marriage can enjoy a loving ceremony expressing their feelings for each other in front of relatives and friends.

Memorial and Funeral Ceremonies

The death of someone close to you is a traumatic time for anyone. A funeral should be a true celebration of that someone’s life and a commemoration in which the person you loved is remembered as they were in life. I would like to help you make this occasion the joyous and uplifting experience and memory it should be.

Other Ceremonies

Life is the Celebration! So when you want to recognise those important moments in your life and those of your family I can help create a ceremony that distinguishes the occasion and that you will always remember. Engagements, Joining of Families, Coming of Age Graduations and Special Birthdays can all become ceremonies that you will remember and recall with joy and pride in the years ahead.

Please contact me for an appointment to discuss your ceremony.